Guided Access can be used to lock an iPad so that it only accesses a single app. Any user trying to leave an app when it is in Guided Access will need to use a predefined PIN.
To use Guided Access:
- Go to iDevice Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access.
- Choose Passcode Settings > Set Guided Access Passcode. Please note that you will need this PIN to get out of guided access again, so please ensure that it is kept in a safe place.
- Go back into Guided Access settings, turn Guided Access to on.
- When you're inside the app you want to remain within, triple click on the iDevice's home button.
- To leave guided access, triple click on the home button again, then enter your PIN.
You can use restrictions to limit the use of the iPad, and prevent (for example) the accidental deletion of apps, or unsupervised access to the internet.
To turn on restrictions go to Settings > General > Restrictions. Choose Enable Restrictions. You will be asked to enter a PIN (It will not be possible to unlock the device if you lose this number, please ensure it's kept in a safe place). Use the sliders to choose which features you want available and which you don't.
Features which can be hidden using Restrictions
- Siri & dictation
- Access to iTunes, iBooks, Podcasts, app store
- App installation, deletion
- In-App Purchases
- Changes to privacy settings
- Updates to mail and cloud accounts